If you are planning to start some aerial yoga and wondering about how to how to hang Yoga Trapeze, we got you covered.
At the end of this article, you will be knowing different installation procedures which are easy and doable. We will also cover a multitude of surfaces and places from where you can hang your trapeze.
We will start with basics and will work our way up to advanced installation processes.
- What is a Yoga Trapeze?
- Why is Yoga Trapeze Needed?
- How to Hang a Yoga Trapeze?
- How to Hang Yoga Trapeze from Concrete Ceiling?
- Process to Follow to Hang a Yoga Trapeze From Ceiling
- How to Hang Yoga Trapeze in Doorway?
- Door mount bars must be used for the following reasons
What is a Yoga Trapeze?
Every single person who are yogis or are passionate about yoga, are well aware of what a yoga trapeze is. But if you are a beginner in this form of exercise, first let us clearly understand what a yoga trapeze is (especially if you’ve already bought one!
Well, yoga trapeze is yet another prop used for performing yoga and its complicated poses and it is defined to be a swing-like contraption which allows you to hang from in multiple ways.
In short we can say that it is a prop or a tool which allows you to execute complicated yoga postures and various other kinds of muscle strengthening techniques.
Yoga trapeze is also often referred to as “Yoga swing” and this particular form of yoga which is done with the help of this prop is specifically called to be “Ariel Yoga”.
Do not forget to read our article on How to Use a Yoga Swing? Beginners Guide to get a better understanding of the usage and benefits.
Why is Yoga Trapeze Needed?
Now that you have an idea of what exactly yoga trapezes are, let us discuss a few points to help you understand why it is important to use yoga trapeze!
- Yoga trapezes are mostly needed to chronic low back pain as it is the most natural form of inversion therapy by allowing lengthening of the space between each vertebra.
- Yoga trapezes allow you to access deeper back bends without straining your back muscles
- It is a brilliant prop to use to build strong core muscles and upper body strength through a number of bodily movements.
- It helps you to go upside down allowing reverse blood flow which in turn sends fresh oxygen to your brain and stay healthy, inspired and motivated.
So, these are the main reasons for using a yoga trapeze and it is one of the favorite props of all seasoned yogis.
Also, do not forget to read our post on Yoga Wheels
With that basic understanding now, let us come back to our main question which is-
How to Hang a Yoga Trapeze?
Well, yoga trapeze is a prop which is best to be setup outdoors. However, don’t get demoralized. There are ways with which you can set them up in your house or studio.
If you have a place outside where you can hang your yoga trapeze, then you can simply hang it over a beam in your garage, over a swing set or even from trees- just make sure that they are sturdy and strong enough to withhold the weight.
Now, coming to indoor hanging of yoga trapeze. We know how every house is built in a different way, in a different style and are differently spaced.
So, this is just a rough guide to give you a better idea. It is always better to get it done by a professional builder or contractor to ensure your safety.
Inside your house you can hang your yoga trapeze in two ways-
1. Exposed Beam Setup
Look around your house and see if you have a beam somewhere- that’s the best way to hang a yoga trapeze. It is the safest way and you’ll be done setting it up in minutes. All you have to do is:
- Take the ropes or the straps of the yoga trapeze and drape them over the beam in such a way that each rope will hang from either side of the beam.
- Now, with your fingers pull back the fabric of the trapeze on the carabiner clips of the main sling.
- Now clip both the looped end of the straps and put them through the knotted end.
- Then repeat the same with the carabiner clips on the handle sets clipping one handle set to each side.
Now comes the second method:
2. Ceiling Hooks Setup
The ceiling hook set up is considered to be the most stable and the permanent set up of all and this can be done with the help of ceiling hooks.
Ceiling hooks are widely available online or in home furnishing stores and these hooks should be specifically designed for yoga trapeze.
Ceiling hooks are easy to mount into both wood beam and concrete and they are solid as rock. This ensures your safety by making it super sturdy.
How to Hang Yoga Trapeze from Concrete Ceiling?
The above statement kind of self-answers your question- to hang yoga trapeze from ceiling you definitely need ceiling hooks which are particularly designed for yoga trapeze.
While hanging yoga trapeze from concrete/ ceiling there are a few things that we must first be clear about.
Following are the reasons why we must use ceiling hooks:
- These provide industrial, iron clad strength and security to the yoga trapeze.
- They are the simplest way for mounting.
- These hooks blend with the ceiling and do not protrude in any way.
- They are super affordable
- They work both on concrete and wood.
To hang a yoga trapeze from ceiling, these are things you need:
- One pen
- A measuring tape
- One step ladder
- 6mm hammer drill for pilot holes
- 12mm hammer drill to create the bolt holes
- A wrench
- Two ceiling Hooks
- Expanding Concrete holes (They usually come along with the ceiling hooks)
Once you have all these you are ready to start with the process of setting it up. The process is:
Process to Follow to Hang a Yoga Trapeze From Ceiling
- Your first step would be to position the ceiling hooks about 70cms apart from one another as you press them against the ceiling/concrete.
Mark the position with the pen and mark the circle where the screws will exactly go in.
- With an excellent 6 mm hammer drill make pilot holes and a 12mm drill to create the bolt holes; they should be sized appropriately so that the entire bolt fits snugly inside the pilot hole.
Then, slide the bolts into the pilot holes and tighten them and expand them.
- Now with the wrench, all you need to do is fix plate to the ceiling tightly and strongly.
Then follow the same instructions for using the ropes to hang your yoga trapeze.
Mounting yoga trapeze on ceiling is a little complicated and involves a bit of a technicality. It is better to call a professional while hanging a yoga trapeze to a ceiling using ceiling hooks.
After all, you need an excellent power drill to create holes in concrete and that is one drill which is usually not found in households.
How to Hang Yoga Trapeze in Doorway?
Yoga trapeze (also known as yoga swing) is a versatile yoga prop which yogis love to use for a various reasons. It helps us with spinal traction and back bends and helps us build our backbone and upper body strength without putting too much strain on our muscles.
As discussed earlier, yoga trapeze can be hung outside as well as indoors too- on ceilings (concrete) or wood beams (if there is any in your home). But did you know that they can be hung from doorways too? Yes, you heard that right!
You can easily hang yoga trapeze in your doorway with a specially designed tool which is known as the Door Mount Bar.
The bar is designed in such a way that they can easily be mounted when you are practicing and dismounted when you aren’t.
This way it doesn’t come in your way. It is attached with external screws to ensure its stability and strength by not using extra pressure like other bars usually do.
Setting up yoga trapeze in your doorway is not a very complicated or a difficult process as it may sound, but it is simple, easy and sturdy only if you have a door mount bar.
Door mount bars must be used for the following reasons
- It provides with quick and easy setup of the yoga trapeze. It does not involve much hassle and you can do it all by yourself if you have the required tools. However, it is advisable to seek for professional help only to ensure your security in terms of the bar’s strength and stability.
- It just screws in place and for that you usually do not need extra handyman skills.
- The most unique feature of a door mount bar is that it is removable and it can be done without any harassment. You can easily remove it whenever necessary.
- As expensive as a door mount bar may sound, it is actually very affordable. Buying a door mount bar doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket but gives you flexibility, strength and a healthy lifestyle for a lifetime.
- Door mount bars also come with an added advantage. You can use it as a chin-up bar also which will again enhance your upper body strength.
With all these advantages in mind, you can easily go ahead and hang your yoga trapeze in a doorway using a door mount bar.
Door mount bars are vastly available online and you can even buy them physically by going to your nearest home furnishing store. However, make sure to specify that you need door mount bar for hanging yoga trapeze in your doorway. Or the best is go with the one recommended by us above.
The door mount adjustable bars usually come with two door mount plates and 10 screws. And believe us when we say, that is exactly all you need along with a screwdriver to set up a door mount bar quickly.
The equipment and tools that you need to setup a door mount bar for hanging a yoga trapeze in your doorway are…
- A wooden door frame which is about 4.5 inches (12cms) wide while your door is closed.
- The width of the door frame must be of a width of a minimum 26 inches (66cms) and maximum of 36 inches (91cms). A minimum of 2.5 inches of extra space on the door frame is required because the brackets are usually of 2 inches by 2 inches.
- A screwdriver. It will be even better if you have an electric one.
Yes, that is all you need to setup your yoga trapeze in your doorway. You can get this easily done by yourself in ten minutes or get a friend to help you out which will make the job done super-fast! In case you aren’t feeling very confident about it, get professional help for the setup.
How much weight can the bar hold?
While hanging our yoga trapeze in our doorway, one question that often arises in our mind is ‘how much weight can the bar hold exactly’? Well, door mount bar manufacturers claim that the bar can hold up to 400lbs.
But more than the strength of the bar what’s even more important to consider is the strength of your wooden door frame. And for this reason too, it is necessary that you get your mounting checked by a professional before you start using yoga trapeze or any other kind of inversion device.
After all, hanging upside down is potentially injurious if you fall because of poor mounting. This may be very dangerous and may cause serious bodily harm.
So, it is always better to be safe than sorry! All you need to do is get it checked by a professional contractor.
What should be the height for the door mount bar?
Now, coming to the height of the door mount bar and how you should hang yoga trapeze in your doorway with a door mount bar considering the height.
Yoga trapezes usually measure about 50 inches (125 cms) in height- measuring from the carabiners to the seat. Therefore it requires an allotment for at least a few extra inches while hanging it with ropes and using the bar.
The longest handle of a yoga trapeze usually measures 53 inches (134 cms) in length.
So, whether you are a beginner or a pro at yoga and you’re concerned about improving your flexibility, deepen your stretches or strengthen your upper body and core muscles or even thinking about trying out some aerial moves which look to be very complicated, then a yoga trapeze should be and is your go-to tool.
When you decide on buying a yoga trapeze for your home or your studio, it is absolutely essential that you get home a product which is safe, secure, and sturdy, balanced and most importantly caters to your functional need.
If a yoga trapeze is not up to the mark, then you will never be able to reap the benefits out of it. Therefore, it is important for you to check every bit of the details like the material of the fabric, its stitching, the installation methods, its weight load capacity, its handles etc.
All these factors will determine where you want to hang your yoga trapeze- outside or indoors and if indoors then where?
On the wall or in the doorway or on a wooden beam! So get all this clear in your head and get on with the procedure! Now that you know how to hang a yoga trapeze, be the healthy and happy yogi that you want to be!