If you are planning to look for the Best Restorative Yoga DVDs available online, you are on the right page.
Our researchers have researched the domain for 56 long hours to list down the best 6 across needs and budgets. So, whatever your need and budget be, you will find the best here.
What Is Restorative Yoga?
Restorative yoga is all about slowing down and opening up the body through various poses and supported by props that allow you to completely relax and rest. It is a more systematic approach to complete relaxation.
While the majority of yoga classes are active and you keep moving from pose to pose to increase strength and flexibility, in restorative yoga your muscles are allowed to relax deeply.
Here it is props rather than your muscles that support your body. The props allow you to hold your poses for longer periods of time. It is a more mellow form of yoga and is a great stress buster.
After all complete stillness is the greatest relaxation that one can get, it is also extremely powerful. Most restorative practices are based on the teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar.
- 1. Restorative Yoga: A Step By Step Guide To Deep Relaxation
- 2. Lunar: Recharge And Rebalance Yoga With Tara Lee
- 3. Ease: Gentle Yoga With Michele Fife
- 4. Sportskool:Poses And Foundations + Restorative Yoga
- 5. Gentle Restorative Yoga With Diana Ross
- 6. Gentle Yoga: & Practices For Your Day With Jane Adams
- What Do You Need For Restorative Yoga?
- Can You Really Learn Restorative Yoga From A DVD?
- Is Restorative Yoga Good For Beginners?
What is the Best Restorative Yoga DVD?
Clinical research into restorative yoga has found that it can decrease depression in cancer survivors in addition to managing the toxicity of chemotherapy and radiation. It can also to a degree manage symptoms of anxiety, depression.
Those who have a problem with making the journey to the gym for a session, especially those who are suffering from anxiety or depression or even cancer survivors, they can easily practice Restorative yoga from the comfort of their homes with the help of a good Restorative yoga DVD.
It takes the stress out of traveling and of interacting with fellow yogis. Owning a good Restorative yoga DVD can be a great help. However, with the number of such DVDs out there, how do you choose the one that is most suited to you.
It can be quite confusing and stressful. So based on user feedback and a lot of research we have tried to select the best Restorative yoga DVDs that are out there currently. They are as follows:
1. Restorative Yoga: A Step By Step Guide To Deep Relaxation
This DVD with Sudha Carolyn Lundeen is appropriate for beginners and experienced practitioners. Sudha’s guidance evokes stillness and rest for the mind and spirit. She breaks it down so you can easily follow for at home practice or for learning to teach others.
Sudha’s Restorative Yoga DVD offers step-by-step instruction in the practice of deep relaxation and stress reduction.
She lends a sensitivity and extensive knowledge base to her teaching style, which blends compassion, humor and soulful presence. Her passion lies in supporting individuals to healthy, wholeness and vitality.
This DVD Includes
- Introduction and detailed instructions on use of props.
- Alignment and modifications of key poses.
- Warm-up flow.
- 80 minute guided restorative flow.
- Benefits and Guidelines to support your practice.
Sudha Carolyn Lundeen, has over 30 years experience in mind and body healing as a holistic health Nurse, Yoga Therapist and Ayurvedic Lifestyle Coach and she packs a lot of that information in this DVD.
What we like in it ?
- It is perfectly suited for beginners and experts in restorative yoga.
- The video is does not have music hence very relaxing.
- The instructor gives clear descriptions of poses with several variations. Her voice is calm and soothing.
- It has a very detailed introduction on how to use the props.
- It is a little on the expensive side.
2. Lunar: Recharge And Rebalance Yoga With Tara Lee
This DVD choreographed by Tara lee will help you to develop a connection with the soothing properties of the moon to help you to feel more calm relaxed and centered.
The routines are designed to balance the lunar energy, encouraging you to be more intuitive and introspective. This is her long awaited follow up to Earth, Air & Water and Fire from the “Elements of Yoga Series”.
What we like in it ?
- Great for beginners, the intermediates and the advanced.
- Great for bringing back a deep sense of calm and relaxation and also great for a good night’s sleep.
- Some of the segments could be a bit more challenging is what some people feel.
3. Ease: Gentle Yoga With Michele Fife
This video on Prime is some well spent time with yourself. Ease yoga is a gentle Vinyasa style practice. Which is perfect for restorative yoga. Michele Fife guides you through movements designed to encourage a sense of calm and quiet.
At the same time it also improves the body’s flexibility, circulation and overall sense of well being. This sequence can be practiced in its full format or you can choose from 3 shorter options each with a final relaxation included.
Also read our most popular post on Yoga DVDs For Weight Loss.
What we like in it ?
- Everything about the video is relaxing and calming.
- The stretches are fairly easy to do.
- The fact that the postures are performed by regular people makes a difference, they seem more achievable.
- Great way to relax tight muscles.
- Some buyers have found the video to be a bit too long.
4. Sportskool:Poses And Foundations + Restorative Yoga
Mastering fundamental poses is the key to effective yoga practice. Here renowned yoga instructor Nancy Goodstein guides you through the most popular poses, and shows you how to get the most out of each.
Whether you are a beginner or more experienced in yoga this video works well for all. Nancy’s clear and concise instruction will help you achieve a healthy form and a clear mind.
This information-packed DVD features two great programs for the price of one: – Introduction to Poses and Foundations is a step-by-step guide for beginners and experts alike. Nancy demonstrates fourteen essential poses to help you get the most out of your practice.
Restorative Yoga is a full yoga workout designed to help you realign your spine through a series of gentle poses. It contains essential information for anyone hoping to achieve back relief through yoga.
The instructions are very easy to follow and she gently guides you to complete relaxation of the joints and muscles.
What we like in it ?
- Restorative yoga has detailed instructions with perfect poses, which is great for intermediate level and the more experienced to follow easily.
- This video helps in increased mobility for those with stiff joints and muscles with long periods of stretching and relaxing.
- Some people have found it a little slow.
5. Gentle Restorative Yoga With Diana Ross
This easy to do yoga for breast cancer DVD contains 12 gentle reclined and seated yoga poses. Each pose works on strengthening and lengthening muscles, repairing breast tissue and improving circulation of lymph.
Three healing breaths are introduced and clearly explained. There is an overall focus on lymphedema management, cancer related fatigue and recovery. Diana has developed and narrated these extra gentle flowing yoga poses specific for breast cancer recovery.
Learn yoga for breast cancer with this DVD created exclusively to address the needs of breast cancer recovery. The practice can be done in the privacy of your home, with friends, or with other survivors.
Through voice over, Diana guides you through a series of gentle yoga sequences while also introducing breathing techniques. The camera shots are perfectly paced and feature the yoga model demonstrating the postures while Diana gives voice over instruction.
The floor based sequences are very gentle and slow paced, encouraging you to really settle into the pose and the moment. Throughout the practice, Diana gives clear guidance, explaining the movements and breathing techniques, and her voice is calming, peaceful, and encouraging.
What we like in it ?
- This restorative yoga DVD contains all the yoga you need for body and mind. It will make you feel like you have been rejuvenated and relaxed, at the same time stretching all the important parts of the body.
- Diana and her model provide the perfect atmosphere for an amazing yoga experience.
- The perfect video for breast cancer survivors to help them to recover in the privacy of their home.
- The video is aimed at people with limited ability hence the more experienced may find it a trifle too slow.
6. Gentle Yoga: & Practices For Your Day With Jane Adams
This DVD was developed especially for mid-lifers (40’s to 70’s), to increase strength and flexibility, balance, posture and grace of movement, and create a more relaxed body and mind. The DVD includes 3 sequences designed for specific times of the day:
A Morning Practice (18 minutes) to awaken and energize your whole body with easy standing movements;
Mid-day Relief from Desk & Computer Work (19 minutes) A combination of exercises sometimes sitting in a chair and sometimes standing. A great routine for any time and or purpose.
A Relaxing Evening Practice (29 minutes) to help you unwind and sleep better. This routine is done sitting in the chair, sitting on the mat, and lying on the mat.
What we like in it ?
- The instruction is expert, the location and filming is exquisite.
- The DVD is easy to navigate and you get lots of choices of routines and over 3 hours of instruction.
- To be clear this is Gentle Yoga so it goes at a slower pace and is not physically exhausting.
- Not suitable for the more experienced.
How to Select a Restorative Yoga DVD
When buying a Restorative DVD, you need keep in mind a few pointers to get the one that suits your need perfectly, which are
Restorative yoga is a simple, safe, effective, non-invasive form of yoga that anybody can practice. Suitable for beginners through to advanced yoga practitioners and yoga teachers. Restorative yoga provides us with a gentle practice to help us relax, regenerate and renew. Hence training level is irrelevant.
Soothing Voice Over
Since Restorative yoga is all about relaxation and finder one’s inner calm, it is important to pick up a DVD or video that is soothing. The music if any also needs to be soothing and calming buy accordingly.
There are a number of DVDs on Restorative yoga with specific targets, some are for breast cancer survivors, some provide relaxation and stress reduction and some are for mid-lifers who want an overall fitness. Buy the one that meets your objectives.
The role of the teacher or Instructor in Yoga is extremely important since they encourage and guide you on your path of fitness and relaxation. Do choose a DVD where the guide is experience and has been a yoga practitioner for years and knows exactly what he or she is doing.
A good instructor can make all the difference in yoga. Choose wisely, it makes a world of difference and buy your DVD accordingly.
Frequently asked questions
What Do You Need For Restorative Yoga?
Restorative yoga uses a lot of props like blankets, blocks, eye pillows and bolsters (big yoga pillows) to create a cocoon of comfort, coziness and calm in which to rest and recharge. But just because you don’t have any yoga equipment doesn’t mean you can’t try this restful and rejuvenating style of yoga at home right now.
Can You Really Learn Restorative Yoga From A DVD?
Yes, of course. Since Restorative yoga is all about finding one’s balance, stillness and relaxation, it can easily be learnt from a good instructor on a DVD. Since most of the poses are ones that even a beginner can achieve, it is not very difficult to follow instruction from a good DVD.
Is Restorative Yoga Good For Beginners?
Restorative yoga is excellent for beginners. It is never too late to start Restorative yoga.
Restorative yoga helps to combat the physical and mental effects of everyday stress, and eases common ailments such as headaches, backaches, anxiety, and insomnia with the use of restful poses and deep breathing techniques.
It deeply relaxes the mind and body and boosts immunity so pick up the DVD that best meets your needs and get started!
We will love it if you like something from our selection and find it useful.