Best Power Yoga DVDs: Recommended by Experts
Yoga, the ancient art of physical, mental and spiritual practices from the orient is quite famous across the world. Not only does it help you to stay fit, but is also great for providing calm and composure to the mind.
Based on this, a segment of a fitness-based approach to Ashtanga and Vinyasa Yoga has been quite popular for the last few decades. Power Yoga, a vigorous practice, is done with speed and involves rapid body movements. It combines athleticism with flexibility in the various approaches.
As a result, it can help you to burn calories, increase lean muscle mass and strengthen the core. You can lose weight permanently, improve balance and increase stamina. When you are stuck at home, this can be your perfect companion for self-improvement.
Besides, you can overcome the mental stress and lethargy too. Yet, there lies a problem, when you are going to start the Power Yoga practices. You cannot always find a good teacher or guru near your place, and even if you do, it can be a bit expensive.
The speed of learning is not the same for everybody, so you can learn faster than the others or lag behind. Owning a power Yoga DVD can solve the problem easily.
- What is the Best Power Yoga DVD?
- How to Select a Power Yoga DVD
- Frequently asked questions
What is the Best Power Yoga DVD?
With a Power Yoga DVD that is well-suited for you, it is like having an exclusive private session with your guru. You can start work-out as it fits your schedule. At your own budget, you can partake in daily exercises.
As Power Yoga is a combination of breathing techniques and a flow of movement from one posture to another, you can replay it as many times as you want, and achieve perfection. The step by step guides is a huge plus for this.
Still, there are a number of Power Yoga guides on the internet, which can be quite baffling as there are thousands of them. Based on expert opinion and user reviews, we have carefully selected the best Power Yoga DVDs for you, which are as follows?
1. The Firm Power Yoga
This Power Yoga DVD is perfect for you if you have a busy daily schedule and do not have long hours to practice the poses. It is compact with 35-minute run time and packs a lot of information in this package.
As the cover says, the goal is to strengthen and tone with this energizing yoga workout. The instructor for this DVD, Kristen Strohecker uses a low-impact full-body workout regime for the viewer with the goal to improve the overall muscle mass by stretching.
If you are a beginner, this is a good option for you as it can help you to work on flexibility and improve your strength.
This is surely one of the most popular Power Yoga Dvds in 2021. Also, do not forget to checkout our post on Yoga DVDs For Beginners Over 50 , in case you are interested.
What we like in it ?
- It is perfectly suited for beginners and intermediate in Power Yoga.
- The video is crisp and small, with a no-nonsense approach, so it is perfect for the 2021 lifestyle.
- The vigorous workout is good for you even if you are in shape somewhat so that you can tone and tighten the body.
- There are not many classic yogic terms or approaches, so it will be easier for you to understand even if you do not have any prior knowledge.
- If you are an advanced Power Yogi, this will not be challenging enough for you.
2. Yoga Strong Power Yoga For Weight Loss
This Power Yoga DVD is among one of the latest in the market as it includes a number of fresh approaches. It promises a total body transformation along with complete conditioning.
The promise is that you will burn fat and build muscle to energise, even if you cannot touch the toes. The complete program has workouts to target both the upper and lower body in the path of conditioning.
The program has videos with three separate workout sessions which go on from 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the level of expertise. With this program, you can lose weight, gain lean muscle, mobility and renewed energy.
Also, do not forget to read our post on Best Fitbit For Yoga, in case you are interested in fitness trackers for yourself.
What we like in it ?
- For the intermediate and advanced, this is a perfect option.
- The instruction Dean explains before starting how a movement or pose affects the body and why it is part of the workout.
- It is more aggressive, which is a good fit for athletes and those who are dedicated to getting in better shape.
- If you are a beginner, this will be a bit tough for you as the regime shown needs some basic understanding and getting in shape.
3. Power Yoga For Everybody
One of the timeless works, this DVD is more than 10 years old. Still, this one shows a solid workout scheme which is very relevant. It is quite famous with great review and sale volume.
Whichever may be your skill level, this is an effective physical fitness activity for you. It has an intense workout video content of more than 6 hours. As directed by Barbara Benagh and Jason Gordon, it is basically a slow and steady vinyasa yoga routine.
They are further divided into twenty-four different routines so that you can choose which one do you need at a given time. For example, there is one to increase flexibility, one for stress relief, one for building strength and balance, one for relaxing. They are further classified as routines suited for morning and evening separately.
Also read our post on What Is Power Yoga.
What we like in it ?
- The DVD is one of the biggest and most diverse collections available in the market without any doubt.
- The time of day- based and requirement-based selection option is a good plus.
- The time of a session varies from 20 to 120 minutes, so you can select the one depending on how much time you have.
- The workouts can be a bit slow and dull for you if you want a fast-paced and action-packed workout regime.
4. Rodney Yee’s Power Yoga Collection
It is a dream team-up in the field of Power Yoga, as this DVD is taught by the famous Rodney Yee, who has appeared in more than forty international Yoga videos. In addition to that, it is presented by Gaiam, which is a famous name in the yoga field. This is a three- video package, actually.
It consists of the titles- “Yoga Burn,” “Power Yoga,” and “Yoga Conditioning for Athletes.” Without any doubt, you get more than what you pay for. These videos cover all the bases. The routines are well-suited for beginner to intermediate yoga practitioners.
This DVD is perfect for building endurance and stamina. it targets all the parts of your body, including the back of the body and arms.
For more, read Yoga Dvds For Weight Loss
What we like in it ?
- Power Yoga has detailed instructions with perfect poses, which is great for intermediate level learners to follow.
- The athletes’ program is made up of the harder workout, which you can follow easily after you finish the other two.
- In Yoga Burn, the music is too loud, so you have to follow the screen to learn the steps.
- As some sequences are often repeated in an effort to make it easier for beginners to follow, the experts may not like it.
5. Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown
The DVD is taught by Jillian Michaels, as evident in the name. She emphasises on more of the personal athletic training style than a yogic style. As a result, you will find that her version is more active and rigorous.
As the name and cover suggest, Yoga meltdown focuses on burning calories and weight loss, that too up to 5 pounds per week. Here, Jilian created a workout regime which is intense and time-based.
They will help to burn calorie, fat and help to energize after each workout. The 30-minute programs are made up of different yoga poses as well as cardio exercises. In a combination, they can help you to shed weight on a regular basis. It also includes light hand weight training to facilitate calorie burn.
If you are a follower of Vinyasa Yoga, you may want to checkout our choice of Best Vinyasa Yoga DVDs available on the market.
What we like in it ?
- Jilian has hands-on experience in weight-loss exercises, so her videos are more practical and perfect if you want to shed weight in a hurry.
- It is an interval and reputation training with an aerobic version of Yoga. So, you can easily follow the steps.
- The practices incorporated in her video are good for both lungs and heart.
- As this is not a customary and traditional yoga style, it varies a lot from the Ashtanga workout style. So, it is not a good suit for you if you are a purist or traditionalist.
6. The Hollywood Trainer – Power Yoga
Even this one is in audio format only, the effectiveness and fame of this one are at per with any other in the list. This one is taught by Jeanette Jenkins, who has made her name as a working Hollywood Trainer.
It is one of the most challenging power yoga routine, which goes almost for an 84-minute routine. The verbal instructions are easy to follow and you do not have the distraction to look up to the screen.
The chapters included are Warmup, Vinyasa Flows, Power Flows, Floor Work, and Relaxation. Here, there are some modifications for you if you are on an advanced level or just a beginner. Still, some of them can be really tough at times, when there are holding poses or sequence of bicycle crunches.
In case you are senior and not sure if these DVD’s fit your needs, checkout our detailed post on Yoga Dvds For Seniors. We believe it will be helpful for you.
What we like in it ?
- The trainer has years under her belt working for Hollywood. So, her methods actually bring a result, that too very fast.
- The music is low enough, so the instructions are really audible.
- The price of this one is at a higher point than the others.
- The regime is quite tough for beginners to follow.
7. The Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collection
This is another of the classic Power Yoga collection which was released almost one and a half-decade ago. Still, even in 2021, this has great ratings and review from satisfied customers.
Thus it is still very much relevant if you want to pick up a useful Power Yoga DVD. The instructor Bryan Kest made his carrier working as a yoga instructor for the Hollywood stars. His approach is simple yet significant so that you can get the perfect start.
A combination of his simple and advanced tricks of power breathing helps to improve stamina. It is a great workout for all levels. You can follow in his confident strides to reach an efficient system to go through.
To know more, go through our post How Many Calories Does Yoga Burn.
What we like in it ?
- This workout is free from anything extra. You do not need to get any equipment like any belts, towels, or other items to work out.
- The instructions are easy to follow, which is good for beginners and experienced.
- If you want a rigorous workout to lose weight fast, this is not for you.
- In some workouts, it is not possible to hold the pose and see the screen simultaneously.
8. Shiva Rea Fluid Power – Vinyasa Flow Yoga
Shiva Rea is one of the newest Power Yoga personality who has gained immense popularity over the known options in recent times. She follows the classic Vinyasa Flow technique in here.
The yoga regime is of 3 hours, with 6 pre-set practices. In this DVD, she incorporated dance-like movements for more engagement and ease of learning for the beginners.
A combination of constant movement and cardio is done in such a way that you can also incorporate your own improvisation. The background scenery used is very calming for your mind. The flows used are unusual and have a positive effect on the mind. Besides, the words and chanting with the yoga poses is a huge plus.
What we like in it ?
- There is room for personalization and improvement as per your liking.
- The flows are a mixture of slow and fast movement, which is good for losing weight.
- The inhale-exhale directions are sometimes confusing to follow.
- The dancing motions are not favoured by those who want a hard workout.
How to Select a Power Yoga DVD
When buying a Power Yoga DVD, you need to keep in mind a few pointers to get the one that suits your need perfectly, which are
Keep In Mind Your Training Level
If you are a beginner or intermediate, buying an expert level DVD will be too hard on you.
You will not be able to follow the rigorous training and get tired easily. On the other hand, if you have some practical experience in Power Yoga, a basic course will disappoint you.
The Style Of Power Yoga
See the style and activities included in the DVD, and buy the one that matches your need. If you want to get one with a classic Ashtanga style or one with a more physically active style- plan and buy accordingly.
Be Clear About Your Goal
There are a number of DVDs with a specific target, some are for weight loss, some provide mental calmness and some are good for overall fitness and stamina. Buy the one that suits your goal.
The Speed Of The Tutorial
The speed of teaching is another aspect you should keep in mind. Some of them come with an introduction, detailed information on all the poses, and this is really great if you are beginning your journey for the first time.
On the other hand, if you are already an expert, or have a busy lifestyle, you will not have time for this and prefer a shorter, more direct approach. Take your pick of the DVDs accordingly.Learn more about Yoga Therapy on our popular post.
Frequently asked questions
What Are The Best Yoga DVDs For Weight Loss?
Depending on your expertise level, strength and body condition, they actually change. However, you can go for Yoga Strong: Power Yoga for Weight Loss, or Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown for this purpose.
Can You learn Power Yoga From A DVD?
Yes, of course. Often finding a good and serious Yoga place near your home is not possible. But a number of world-famous Yoga gurus have released their courses on digital medium now. You can learn from them at your own pace and time easily.
What Are The Best At-Home Yoga DVDs?
Besides all of the above-mentioned ones, there are others, depending on your specific need. Do select the one that fits your budget and experience level.
You can easily control your weight and burn calories with Power Yoga. Besides, improved flexibility, balance and increased core strength are the other benefits. Even without going out of your home, you can achieve all these benefits with a Power Yoga DVD. It can also save money when you have a limited budget or a beginner level.
Select the one that matches you, checking out all the pros and cons, and surely you will reap the benefits. Power Yoga for everybody is a great option among all the ones listed here, as it has a detailed approach, with time-based Yoga sessions.
It will build you up from the basics and you will just love the transformation. On the other hand, if managing time is a bother for you, and you are a seasoned practitioner, do go for The Firm: Power Yoga. It is short and concise, yet has all the relevant information and practically effective Power Yoga lessons.
We will love it if you like something from our selection and find it useful.
To know more about yoga read our post on what does Yoga mean.